Post-doctoral fellowship: 1 August 2020 – 31 July 2021
The Faculty of Law has a post-doctoral fellowship available. These fellowships are awarded for a year. The fellowship will resort under the Law Trust Chair in Social Justice.
The primary responsibility of the successful applicant will be to participate in the Law Trust Chair in Social Justice research programme, publish in accredited academic journals and attend academic conferences. The fellow will not be expected to undertake any teaching responsibilities in the Law Faculty, but may be exposed to limited postgraduate supervision and research administration tasks.
The research to be conducted will fall under two the two broad programmes of the research chair, which are:
- Research areas of the Social Justice M-Plan
- COVID-19 related work
The areas of research under these programmes include: the design of analytical instruments for leveraging data analytics for social justice impact conscious policy design and law reform; and focussed thematic research on the impact of law and policy since the dawn of democracy on structural poverty and inequality in areas such as: spatial disparities; health; education; food security; property; including land and intellectual property; the economy and the judicial system.
The research will also cover the impact of equality advancing laws such as the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act, 2000; Employment Equity Act, 1998, Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act, 2000 and the Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment Act, 2003.
- A doctoral degree (LLD), which had to be obtained not prior to 1 January 2016.
- The successful candidate may not hold any other full-time or part-time job at the same time and may not undertake any other work for remuneration.
- Good computer skills (MSWord, Internet research skills).
- Fluent (reading, writing and speaking) English; second and third languages are an advantage.
- The successful candidate must be able to work full-time in Stellenbosch for the duration of the fellowship.
- Persons from under-represented groups (race, gender, culture or otherwise) are particularly encouraged to apply.
The post-doctoral fellowship package includes:
- A fellowship of R200 000 for a year
- A working space
Please note that postdoctoral fellows are not appointed as employees and are therefore not eligible for employee benefits. Postdoctoral fellowships are also awarded tax free.
Send an application letter and supporting materials (including a proposed research plan) to Ms Diane Gahiza, Faculty of Law, Stellenbosch University, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 July 2020.
Applicants may be expected to attend an interview (in person, by telephone or Skype).